Supplemental Health Insurance counselors provide free guidance to EBCI elders and disabled members to make them aware of any and all alternative resources that are available to them within our five-county service area. You'll receive unbiased information in simple-to-understand language.
We work in conjunction with multiple service providing agencies on the Qualla Boundary and with Federal and North Carolina state agencies.
SHIP can provide assistance for:
• Disability claims
• Vocational rehabilitation referrals
• Medicaid enrollment
• Medicaid Health Check Program
• Medicare enrollment
• Medicare Part B payments
• Medicare Part B reimbursements
• Medicare Part D comparisons/questions
• Medicare Part D enrollment
• Hearing aid purchases
• Transportation to service facilities/disability appointments
• SSI reimbursement
• SSDI overpayment cases
• Early retirement counseling
• VA overpayment cases
Twice a year – in June and December - we hold Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) clinics. You are encouraged to bring your receipts to get your SSI reimbursement.
Some of the ways we can assist you:
• Explain how government programs work
• Act as your representative
• Fill out paperwork for those in need (illiterate)
• Research and gather information
• Deliver paperwork to the proper destination
• Make appointments
• Arrange transportation
• Answer Medicare questions
• Purchase hearing aids
• Order new Social Security or Medicare cards
Outreach programs include community meetings, medicare training seminars, participation in health fairs and Elders Day Celebration, and visits to Tsali Manor and Tsali Care.
HEALTH CHECK PROGRAM
We administer the Health Check program, which ensures that Medicaid eligible children receive well child care including immunizations and preventative screening. We provide case management and advocacy for Medicaid eligible children under the age of 19. Duties include tracking immunizations, assisting families with Child Health Insurance and Medicaid enrollment, and advocating for families to obtain preventative health services for children.